Turkey is one of the most preferred countries for education. Almost 178,000 students from around the world apply at a Turkish university every year. Turkish education system offers a splendid student experience with its both socially and educationally developed universities, some of which are among the world’s best universities like Boğaziçi University, Middle East Technical University, and Istanbul University.
A lot of students also prefer Turkish universities because of the affordable standard of living in Turkey. If you are willing to pursue education in Turkey, here are the steps you need to follow to apply at a Turkish university as a foreigner:
Required Education Level
Each university has its own exams and procedure, but the general expectations are mostly the same. Universities in Turkey expect foreign students to be enrolled in a high school that is equivalent to the Turkish high schools. Foreign students will need to show the proofs of their exam results or diplomas, such as SAT, YOS (Foreign Student Exam, held by universities), Matura or IB diplomas, etc. before applying for admission at a Turkish university.
Language Proficiency Tests
Foreign students, whose first language is not English, are required to take a language proficiency test as part of the admission process. You can either take TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE and submit results along with the other documents. Every university has its own minimum score requirement, thus make sure that you visit the university website for accurate information.
Documents Required for Admission at a Turkish University
Please note that the documents may vary from university to university. Please visit the website of the university you intend to apply to and confirm the list of documents you will need to submit for your admission.
Here’s a list of documents that are usually required by all Turkish universities:
- Application Forms
- Higher Education Diploma
- Letter of Purpose
- Proof of Funds (a letter that guarantees you have financial support or sponsorship)
- Application Fee Payment (Varies between USD 30 to 100)
- Health Insurance (covering the duration of your study time)
Application Process at a Turkish University
The application process is simple and straightforward, provided you have all the required documents.
- The very first step is to decide your program and find a university. You can check available programs in universities via this website.
- Most universities are now accepting online applications. After you have prepared the requested files and documents, which are stated on the websites of each university, you can complete your online application.
- Students must have a student visa in order to live and enroll at a university in Turkey. After you get accepted at a Turkish university, you can apply for a student visa with your acceptance admission letter from the university.
Websites of Some of the Best Turkish Universities
Here are some of the best universities in Turkey with the best education. You can see application dates, fees, programs and departments, and their contact info for international students on their website.
- Boğaziçi University
- Middle East Technical University
- Bilgi University
- Istanbul University
- Istanbul Aydın University
- Okan University
- Istanbul Technical University
- Yaşar University
- Hacettepe University
- Koç University
- Yıldız Technical University
- Sabancı University
Move to Turkey
Your perfect home is waiting for you in this gorgeous country.