According to the latest regulations, the process of acquiring Turkish citizenship has been eased. Foreigners, who want to apply for Turkish citizenship by investment, do not need a Turkish residency permit first to start the process (however, you will be required to apply for it in the later stages of your application). You can initiate the process while on a tourist visa or you can hire a lawyer and he can handle it for you through a power of attorney.
Here’s a detailed guide to help you obtain a Turkish Citizenship by investment.
Step 1 – Obtain a Tax Number
This is essential to carry out all official proceedings. There are tax offices in every district, you can obtain one by visiting any of these offices.
Step 2- Purchase a Property and Prepare a Real Property Valuation Report
You will have to purchase a real estate property with a minimum value of USD 250,000 or equivalent Turkish Liras. Before purchasing, prepare a real property valuation report to be submitted to the Land Registry. This report will serve as a proof of real estate value. The report will help Land Registry assess whether the property is actually valued at USD 250.000 or you just made a fake contract. A lot of companies will help you prepare this report. Make sure to look for companies that are approved by SPK (Capital Markets Board of Turkey) like Kare Gayrimenkul Değerleme A.Ş.
Step 3- Selling Restriction Annotation
Make sure that your property deed has the annotation that restricts you from selling the property within 3 years of purchase. This is one of the conditions of obtaining Turkish Citizenship.
Step 4- Provide your E-Mail Address to Land Registry
The time required for this process is approximately 1 week. After the assessment of your property’s real value, you will get an e-mail from the Ministry of Environment and Urbanization. This e-mail will include a document “Certificate of Conformity (Uygunluk Beyanı)” which will prove that your real estate’s value is true and approved by the relevant authorities. “Certificate of Conformity” is an important document because it will be used in future procedures.
Step 5- Apply for your Residency Permit
After these 4 steps, you need to go to e-ikamet website to apply for a residency permit. Choosing “I Would Like to Lodge a New Application” will direct you to this pre-register page. You need to provide details manually.
After filling in the pre-register page, it will lead you to the main form of residency permit. You have to fill the form out manually and select article 34 J at the end of the form. Article 34 J is a kind of residency permit for investors who want to be a Turkish citizen (Residency type for the investors who own real estate property in Turkey). Then you will be given an appointment date by the system.
Step 6- Submit Documents for Residency Permit
Since you’re an investor who wants to be a Turkish Citizen, you have to collect required documents for a residency permit and submit them to İstisnai Vatandaşlık Bölümü (Exceptional Turkish Citizenship Department) based in Sirkeci district. Normally when someone applies for a residency permit, he/she needs to show a rental contract but in this situation, you need to provide your title deed.
Documents Required for Turkish Residency Permit
- Residence Permit Application Form (must be signed by the foreigner and/or his/her legal representative)
- Passport Copy (Translated into Turkish and Notarized)
- 4 Biometric photos (white background)
- Valid Health Insurance (for one year will be enough)
- Financial sufficiency proofs (proof of regular income, bank statements)
- Title Deed and its approval from the Ministry of Environment and Urbanization
- Service Receipt (it can be paid at the opposite building of Exceptional Turkish Citizenship Department)
Step 7- Gather Documents for Turkish Citizenship
In 1-2 working days, you will have a paper that can be used as a residency permit until your residency permit card gets issued. You don’t need to wait for the residency card to apply for citizenship. Prepare your required documents for submitting them to the Exceptional Turkish Citizenship Department.
Documents Required to be Submitted for your Turkish Citizenship by Investment Application
- VAT 4 Form (filled correctly) – Please read the last page carefully.
- Applicant’s Passport Copy (Notarized and Translated into Turkish)
- If a minor child whose custody is with the applicant mother or father is to acquire citizenship, the applicant should provide a deed of consent duly prepared and signed by the other parent before a notary public in Turkey or by Foreign Representative of Turkey or by the relative authority of his/her country. (Notarized and Translated into Turkish)
- Certificate of Civil Status / If Married – Certificate of Marriage / If Divorced – Certificate of Divorce (Separation Deed) / If Widower or Widowed – Death Certificate of Spouse (If any) (Notarized and Translated into Turkish)
- Birth Certificate (This one will be enough) / Civil Registration Document (Notarized and Translated into Turkish)
- 2 Biometric photographs with white background, sized 50×60 mm, as determined by ICAO
- Residency Permit Paper (valid until applicant’s getting Residency Card)
Step 8- Track your Application
After submitting your documents, officers will provide you with a tracking number. You can track your Citizenship progress here with the tracking ID.
Step 9- Apply for your Turkish ID Card
If your application is approved by the Presidency, you will get a notification saying “Your Citizenship application has been approved by the Presidency”. Then you may start the process for the Turkish Republic ID Card. You just need to pay the service fees at one of these banks (Halk Bank, Ziraat Bankası, etc.), get the receipt, and apply for your Turkish ID Card at the Civil Registry office based in district Fatih.
Become a Turkish Citizen!
Turkey is the ideal place to invest and make your home. Why not become a citizen?